So, you’re a new dad? Congratulations and welcome to this amazing journey!
Let me start with a warning: As a dad, you won’t get as much love as you deserve.
Well, it’s completely understandable that moms get the spotlight. After all, pregnancy, giving birth, and breastfeeding are absolutely amazing. But hey, the loving presence of a father is a pretty big deal too. Remember that even if your role is not sentimentalized, you’re still important!
For days when you feel unappreciated, here are the inspiring quotes to keep you going:
- “One of the greatest things a father can do for his children is to love their mother.” –Howard W. Hunter
Parenting is hard work. Even if you have a good relationship with your partner, things are bound to get rocky when you’re both sleep-deprived and exhausted. Expect that you need to go through an adjustment period during the first few months (maybe even years) with your baby. But don’t ever forget that you need to give time and effort to keep your partner happy too.
- “Fathers, like mothers, are not born. Men grow into fathers and fathering is a very important stage in their development.” –David Gottesman
During the early days of fatherhood, there will be many days when you feel like you’ don’t know what you are doing. And it’s absolutely okay. Being a father comes with so many tasks and responsibilities. Don’t be too hard on yourself on days when you feel lost. You’ll get the hang of it, dad -promise.
- “Being a great father is like shaving. No matter how good you shaved today, you have to do it again tomorrow.” –Reed Markham
Parenting is exhausting but it’s like a full-time job. Even if you are drained or tired or confused, you have to keep going because your kid needs you. You have to wake up, work to provide for your family, help around with the chores at home, and keep your family happy together. Rinse and repeat.
- “Dads are most ordinary men turned by love into heroes, adventurers, story-tellers, and singers of song.” –Pam Brown
You might feel like a regular guy who’s not yet ready for all the responsibilities that come with fatherhood. That’s totally normal. But it’s amazing how fatherhood transforms men into selfless heroes. Give yourself time to learn the ropes. Eventually, being a father will feel like the most natural things in the world.
- “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me.” ―Jim Valvano
A dad’s support is priceless. Being supportive of your child – whether it means showing up to soccer practice or letting them choose what career path they want to take later on – is something that will truly shape their life. The simplest and easiest way to show support to your child is to just be present. Just being there makes all the difference!
- “Children are a poor man’s riches.” –English proverb
Raising kids is expensive. When you look at your bank account after you’ve paid for all their needs, you’ll likely feel poor. But hey, that is parenting. You need to make a few financial sacrifices here and there to give your little one a good life.
- “Every father should remember one day his son will follow his example, not his advice.” –Charles Kettering
Whether you like it or not, there is now a little person who is looking at you as a role model. Instead of feeling pressured, use it as a way to motivate yourself to be a better man. While watching your words is important, watching your actions is even more important.
- “One father is more than a hundred schoolmasters.” –George Herbert
Sure, it’s important to make sure that your kids get good teachers but you should understand that what you teach is way more impactful. Be mindful about your parenting style and what kind of values and skills you want to teach your kids.
- “That is the thankless position of the father in the family—the provider for all, and the enemy of all.” –J. August Strindberg
Being a father is not a walk in the park. You have the responsibility of taking care of your family. This means that you have to make sacrifices. And this also means that sometimes, you have to be the enemy. When things are getting tiring, focus on the big picture. In the end, you will feel fulfilled by the commitment you have to this role.
- “Anyone who tells you fatherhood is the greatest thing that can happen to you, they are understating it.” ―Mike Myers
Fatherhood will change you in ways you probably didn’t even imagine. It won’t always be easy but the special moments are so worth it. You will grow in ways that you didn’t even imagine! So just wear your seatbelt and enjoy the ride.